Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Childbirth/Lamaze Class

So, Miguel and I went to our first of 4 lamaze classes yesterday (Tuesday 7/7). Let me tell you, it was interesting, fun, slightly informative, nerve racking and scary... Interesting because our instructor is very peppy and drew us a diagram on how to get to the bathroom, which was literally 15 feet from where our classroom was. Fun because the group of people in our class (a total of 11 couples) seem to be really relaxed and laid back, which allowed us to be more comfortable and joke around a little bit. The class was slightly informative for me, but Miguel ended up learning some things, which is good.

The class was nerve racking and scary because we got to see diagrams and videos (not the birthing video. Thats next Tuesday. Super!) that made me think, "What did I get myself into" and "How is an 8 pound baby going to fit down there?!?!?!?!?" This class was just another reality check that in only 8 weeks (give or take) I am going to be responsible for a little baby (holy $@$%!!!) I am starting to have more freak out, OMG moments lately.....

On the other hand, I did have a good time practicing my breathing (hee hee hee hoo). Well more laughing than practicing. I would go to practice and all I could focus on was Miguel sitting next to me practicing also. Hearing him practicing his breathing then made me run scenarios through my head of the actual day. All I could picture is Miguel coaching me with my breathing, but at the same time making faces while doing it or coaching me in a funny manner that would make me laugh.. For those of you who know Miguel, you know what I mean... He is a jokester and to lighten the mood or to make himself feel better because there is nothing else he can do while his wife is in a lot of pain, he would make jokes during the whole process. Humor is the best medicine right?.

I also found a few items on the "What to pack for the hospital" list kinda of funny. One item listed is breath spray. Seriously, breath spray? I don't know about any of you, but how my breath smells during that day is going to be the last thing on my mind. Also on the list, tennis balls.. I told Miguel that I am going to pack tennis balls so I can throw them at him while I am having a contraction. That will definitely keep my mind off of the pain. 8-}

1 comment:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I can totally see Miguel making a great doula (I had told him this). He would put your mind at ease by telling some joke or reinacting childbirth himself. -Elaine