Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, July 24, 2009

Childbirth/Lamaze Class

Well, these past 2 weeks at lamaze class have been interesting. Last Tuesday we got to watch not 1 but 2 birthing videos. I guess our teacher thought it would be funny or something. The first video was not that bad. It pretty much showed the women using breathing techniques and different positions to help with the pain. Even a little pain management. Then showed the tail end of her giving birth. After watching that I was like, "Oh, that wasn't too bad. I can do this." But, the second video was ALOT more graphic! The second video showed, literally, step by step, the birthing process from early labor to the baby being delivered. It showed baby steps of the baby crowning to shoulders popping out, half the body then whole body. Oh, and you can't forget the video showed the placenta being delivered also. Our instructor warned us about the delivery of the placenta. She stated, "Here comes the gross part." After watching the 2nd video I was thinking, "What did I get myself into. I don't want to do this anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

After we watched the video's we discussed pain management and practices our breathing techniques, massage, and different positions I can put myself in to help with the pain. Like the first class, I again had a hard time taking the breathing seriously. I did better than our first class, but still laughed and joked.

This past Tuesday's class we had the pleasure of watching a video of a woman having a C-section. That was fabulous. Honestly, it was actually pretty interesting. I felt bad for the little baby being delivered because the doctor had a hard time getting him out and was really pulling and tugging on the little guy. After watching the video, we practiced 'pushing'. We went through the steps and pretended we were giving birth. Next we talked about "assisted delivery" which I did not like. We talked about vacuum extraction and forceps. I DON'T like either option! Our instructor showed us the actual vacuum and forceps used in assisted delivery, and the forceps are scary! I will opt to have a C-section before those other 2 options (if possible of course).

The best part of this past Tuesday's lamaze class was getting a tour of the labor and delivery units. We were shown what the delivery rooms looked like, saw pictured of the operating rooms, and the nursery. Seeing the nursery was obviously the best part of the whole tour!

We have one more class left!

8 comments:

Sarah B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah B. said...

Posted 7/24/09

Miguel Barroso said...

Seeing the little babys, one was like 4 hours old the other was a day old...made this all REAL on man

Kristeen said...

I think the birthing videos may be my biggest fear...At least when I'm IN all that pain I don't have to be traumatized by the view from below :)

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

They gave you the nicer video first to break you in and not scare you away, I am guessing.

I do watch all the birthing shows and the more realistic birthing shows and find it quite fascinating how women deal with pain differently and also how the spouses react during that time interesting.

What do you do during your next class? -Elaine

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

They gave you the nicer video first to break you in and not scare you away, I am guessing.

I do watch all the birthing shows and the more realistic birthing shows and find it quite fascinating how women deal with pain differently and also how the spouses react during that time interesting.

What do you do during your next class? -Elaine

Sarah B. said...

Elaine- For our final class, I believe we are going to be talking about how to care for our child and, I think, may touch upon breastfeeding. There is another topic we will be talking about, but I don't remember what it is. It has been funny because each week our class gets a little smaller. So we don't know if the couples just stopped coming or the ladies went into labor. Interesting.

What baby shows do you watch? Because the baby shows I watched were not NEARLY graphic as the videos shown in birthing class.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I have no idea why my comment went through 2 times last time (sorry).

I have watched a few on the discovery health that you see mostly all of it besides the placenta. But my friend's dad sent pictures of the placenta (w/o my friend knowing until after) so I know what it looks like..I saw the pictures at 6 a.m. and was like "well hello there placenta!" I love stuff like that (operation type stuff). I don't know if I will be so gung-ho when it is me but I enjoy watching others.